SCONA'S STUDENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT AND THE I-LEARN CENTRE COLLABORATE TO OFFER YOU A RANGE OF PRE-EMPLOYMENT COURSES TO HELP YOU TRANSITION FROM THE WORLD OF SCHOOL TO THE WORLD OF WORK.
HCS3000 - Workplace Safety Systems
All Scona students will have access to this course at some point in their grade 10 year. Grade 11 or 12 students who have not taken this course should see Mr. Rolph or come to the I-LEARN CENTRE to request access. * This course is a pre-requisite to participation in Scona's Work Experience program
This course includes
- an introduction to hazard identification, management and control
- an understanding of the responsibilities
- a summary of the Employment Standards Code; the Workers' Compensation Act; the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code
LGS2020 - Employment Law
All Scona students will have access to this course at some point in their grade 11 year. Grade 12 students who have not taken this course can come to the I-LEARN Centre to request access.
This course includes
- a basic understanding of employment relationships and contract types
- basic information about unions and collective bargaining
- further knowledge about the following laws governing employment matters:Employment Standards Code; Labour Relations Code (Alberta) and Canada Labour Code; Employment Insurance Act; Workers’ Compensation Act; Occupational Health and Safety Act; Human Rights, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Act
CSTS-09 - Construction Safety Training System
This industry level training program is not a high school credit course but may be accessed by referral from Mr. Rolph to the I-LEARN Centre.
It may be a requirement for some RAP placements.
Workplace Essential Skills 25/35 - Print Modules
Students new to Canada or with literacy issues may benefit from enrolment in these LearnWrite courses. Booklets address topics such as Reading, Writing and Numeracy at work.
WORK EXPERIENCE PROGRAM
If you have a part time job, you know there is always a lot to learn. See Mr. Rolph in to sign up for Work Experience Credits.
REGISTERED APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
See Mr. Rolph to sign up for RAP.