The Technical Theatre program is specifically designed to meet the needs of students who wish to participate in the backstage, design, and theatre management aspects of a theatre career. The program provides practical experience in lighting, sound, set, costume, props, rigging, and more. These essential skills are taught and practiced throughout the execution of our production season including lunch events, one acts, dance showcase, Scona’s yearly musical production, and many school-wide events.
Throughout the Technical Theatre program, students:
- develop an appreciation and an understanding of stagecraft, costuming, make-up, lighting, sound, rigging, stage management, and house management through the practical experience of main stage productions
- develop artistic communication skills to effectively collaborate with other directors or designers
- portray a knowledge of historical period and style through conventional theatrical techniques of design
- develop proficiency in rendering techniques, set construction, scene painting, lighting and sound design and operation
- become familiar with the industry standards and procedures to research and secure job auditions and interviews